HMS Snake

HMS Snake

Ref: CC120

Kit Features:

Keel and bulkheads are CNC cut in high quality Birch ply as are all the major constructional parts. Extensive use of CNC cut Walnut has been employed for the majority of visible structures and fittings.

18 Pounder carronades cast in white metal, complete with elevating screw, mounted on scale pre-cut carronade chairs.

Scale copper hull tiles

The wood strip pack contains Lime wood for the first planking, Walnut for the second planking and Tangajika for the decks. Ramin dowel is supplied for the masts and yards.

The gundeck features an Elm tree pump, pre-cut wood grating kit, pre-cut companionway hatch, Capstan kit, pre-cut pin rails, wooden belaying pins, powder kegs.

Rigging thread is supplied in natural and black to rig the model as depicted in the photographs. Blocks, deadeyes, etched brass chainplate assemblies with strops, shroud cleats, trucks, stunsail yard brackets as well as CNC cut Walnut tops, crosstrees, trestle trees, mast caps and a wealth of unique detail parts.

Fully detailed plans and instructions will take you step by step through the construction process with many hints and tips to assist you along the way.

Technical Details

Scale: 1:64
Overall Length: 910mm

History

The Snake class were direct copies of the Cruiser class, except they were ship rigged as opposed to brig rigged sloops.

During the early half of the century the brig sloops were built like miniature warships, having a forecastle deck, poop deck, stern gallery windows and decoration. Snake class were much more business like with a flush deck and nine cannons or carronades each side. They were very fast and seaworthy.

As originally built Snake had a full ordnance of 32 Pounder carronades. Carronades replaced the carriage guns because at close quarters the short-range, carronades proved to be devastating to their opponents.

Class dimensions were: Length 100'. Breadth 30' 6". Displacement 382 tons with a crew of 121.

Snake was the first in the class and was launched in 1797. In 1809 she was converted to a brig and sold in 1816 after a 20-year career.