H.M.S. Morecambe Bay
The Morcambe Bay was constructed by W Pickersgill in Sunderland and laid down on the 30/4/44 and launched on 1/1/44.
On a displacement of 2530 tons at full load she was powered by 2 x Admiralty three drum boilers driving four cylinder, triple expansion (yes that is correct) giving a total of 5.5oohp with a top speed of 19.5 knots. The ship carried a compliment of 157 men. In 1944 as the war moved to the Pacific, it was noted that a escort ship with a heavy A/A firepower was required to accompany the British fleet. A quick cure was to modify some of the Loch class frigates then under construction.
Accordingly 26 of the class were designated A/A frigates and called the Bay class. The hull, superstucture, engines and basic layout of the new class remained unchanged.
The major changes were to the ships weapons, which consisted of two twin 4 A/A mountings and two twin 40mm bofors.
Fire control for the 4 guns was by Mkv director with a 285 radar, The 40mm s were directed by a simple tacymetric director on each mounting. For Anti_Sub use a Hedgehog mortar was mounted on thebfo/castle, whilst on the quarter deck was the usual outfit of rails and mortars.
Of the 26 vessels only 19 were completed as Bays, Six ships were completed to different designs such as survey vessels and despach vessels, one was cancelled.
The excellent seakeeping qualities of the hulls were ably demonstrated on several occasions when ships of the class rode out Typhoons which were a common hazard in the Far East.
By the mid 1950 the usefulness against modern aircraft was in decline, so in 1956 the first of the class went to the breakers.
Several ships were sold abroad.
Mounts Bay and Morcambe Bay were sold to the Portuguese Navy after a refit at Thorneycrofts yard. as the Vaso da Gama and the Dom Francesco de Almeida. She was scrapped on the 7/9/70.
Details of the kit
Scale 1/96 Length 985mm Beam 122mm Sailing weight 3.02
The fiberglass hull in this kit is with full plating and port detail.
Computer generated printed plastic forms the main superstructure along with the 1mm plastic deck.
To complete the construction of the model all complex parts are vacformed in 1mm plastic for funnel, boats, turret etc.
A complete set of fittings are included in the kit with all detail parts such as weapons, deck fittings, etc, cast in light alloy.
Larger item such as lockers, floats, and gun bases are moulded in plastic castings for light weight.
The lattice mast, such a notable feature of this class of ship is assembled from etched brass in four parts for simple assembly.
Ladders and stanchions are also in etched brass to give a final showcase finish.
Propshafts in stainless steel are cased in brass proptubes with fitted oilers and replaceable bearings along with rudder and tiller arm.
These, together with a comprehensive instruction book and a FULL SIZE PLAN assist in the assembly of this impressive model.
A colour chart and a set of precut decals for the pennant number are included in the kit to add the finishing touch to this most attractive addition to our warship range